The Dirty Floor

To celebrate the first day of spring, we romped about in the mud, brainstormed words using all our senses, and wrote about mud season in New England.

(Photo by Rat)

The Dirty Floor

The snow is melting.

The chickadees are singing.

The sun is shining.

It is almost here.

I am packing up my stuff.

I am sorry you have to go,

With your fluffy snow and your cold breeze.

You’ll be back someday.

Spring is here.

Tiny beads of green are popping out of the springy dirt.

I’ll miss you, Winter, but you have to go now.

And then . . . . on the second day of spring . . . .

4 Comments

1. I am from Alaska, a lot of our “spring days” look like yours. We have had snow and sunshine here as well. I really like the poem. Did you write it yourself?
    Mrs. Kueter

• Yes, I wrote the poem by myself. The first day of spring here was all sunny and then the next day it was snowing! Do you have any animals that you like to see in spring? I like to see frogs and tadpoles. Last year we caught tadpoles and grew them up into frogs!
      Thanks for commenting!

2. Hi “Rat”!

I just LOVE your poem! At first I was confused about who you were saying goodbye to, and then it all made sense. And then there was the funny ending…

I love to write and used to write poems all the time when I was younger. If I can give you any advice, I would say to remember to KEEP all your poems. Someday you will really love look back on them!

What other hobbies do you have?? (Besides caring for rats, of course.)

Karen

3. My family has two dogs, one cat and one pig. My sister wanted a rat for her birthday and I said that I wanted one too, so my parents got two rats. She is fun to play with and cuddly; she is named Cinderella.